Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Beyond Boundaries

Many people think that the role of HR is limited to the Human Resources Manager and the team in that office. In my opinion, nothing is further from the truth. The engagement of associates is the top priority of all leaders in a hotel. This philosophy has inspired a strategy that has been a turning point in the engagement of the team at the Courtyard by Marriott Gurgaon.

It occurred to me that the middle management and supervisors, while being consulted, were in fact not critically involved in the decision-making process. However, these same people were charged with the execution of strategies, whether they believed in them or not. I could not think that if you had no ownership in a programme, you were in a position to sell that to the team at the coalface. I sensed there was disconnect in associate engagement on this Supervisory level. I felt I was missing the part of the team who were accountable for everything but responsible for nothing.

I decided to roll out a programme wherein every Supervisor in the hotel meets with me in a committee environment three times a week for 30 minutes.