Thursday, February 19, 2009

“It’s financial aid, not extortion!”

What action have you taken against your party MLA accused of killing a PWD engineer?
We arrested him within hours of his crime. I asked him to meet me but he sniffed my ploy of getting him arrested from my house and went back to Kanpur. We tracked him down by tracing his mobile calls. We have also arrested almost all the accused and those sheltering them.

If the MLA was extorting money for your birthday contribution, what action Mayawatidid you take against him?
I haven’t asked anyone to raise money for my birthday. BSP workers have for long been celebrating my birthday as arthik sahyog diwas (financial aid day) and they enroll fresh members by getting membership fee of Rs 10 to Rs 100. This not only contributes millions to the party’s kitty but also helps expand its membership base.

If MLA Shekhar Tiwari says he was raising money for my birthday then that is not true and I will teach him a lesson. I know that he was a muscleman even when he was with Samajwadi Party.

Then why did you induct such a criminal in your party and even fielded him in the Assembly elections?
You know, when you are in power, you have several agencies at your command to conduct background checks on any person. But, in opposition you are handicapped and have to reply on the information provided by the person. We did know that Tiwari was a toughie but had no idea that he was a criminal.

But he remains in your party. Are you protecting him?
I told you, I am going to teach him a lesson so that no other BSP worker would dare commit a crime and bring disrepute to the party. We have slapped him with Goonda Act, Gangsters Act and National Security Act. I have instructed my party men to practically ostracise Tiwari and his family. But before expelling him from the party, I want to investigate whether there is a deeper conspiracy, whether he acted at the instance of somebody else. Otherwise, like Amarmani Tripathi he too would simply hop over to the Samajwadi Party after being thrown out of the BSP.....Continue