Thursday, January 08, 2009

What a voyage!

When I was standing in the queue to enter a grand cruise ship from Singapore bound for Langkawi Islands and Phuket Islands my emotions were the same as that of Rose’s (Kate Winslet) in the 1997 super-hit film “Titanic”. It seemed unbelievable and I knew that this four-day trip is just going to be a fun-filled escapade!

The ship, for a little woman like me, seemed like a huge white monster almost touching the sky, with thousands of windows, unending corridors and numerous life-boats (the first thing I looked out for, especially after watching “Titanic” innumerable times!). On arriving, the ship’s mascots – a ‘lion’ and a ‘duck’ – and bikini-clad women, greeted us and also posed with us. I entered the main atrium which was no less than a five-star hotel’s reception with three golden horses prancing, and an orchestra playing in the background. I was spell-bound by the grandeur and opulence of the ship and set out for a tour around. But first, I went to see my room which had a perfect sea view, and sitting outside in the balcony I could feel the oceanic winds caress my face. Then I made my way to the top of the deck only to find the whole world on board! The deck had a swimming pool, jacuzzis, saunas, jet pools, gymnasium, mini golf course, basket-ball court, spa and fitness centre, kid’s pool, video arcade, shopping area, library, and what not! “I wouldn’t have a minute free!” I thought to myself after seeing those amazingly fun-filled ‘entertainment packages’.

On the following day, as I looked out for what to eat, I noticed that apart from the European cuisine, there was Indian cuisine as well which was very thoughtful and a commendable gesture on the crew’s part to cater to their guests’ liking. The ship housed various restaurants, be it the ubiquitous Taj Mahal, an Indian, Chinese, Italian or Japanese. So whatever ethnicity and culture the guest may have belonged to, they had a huge variety to choose from.....Continue